Musings

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Cold - and interesting findings

Blore has become extremely chilly and as a result, I'm back again with cold which is worse than the last time. Nasal blocks that prevented passage of life breath and I was left wondering whether I should start breathing more through the skin like a frog! :-) Exasperated, I caught hold of the accupressure book and as mentioned there, gave mild pressure to points in kidney, stomach, lungs, heart, sinuses, internal nose, an overall foot massage - and I could sleep within the next 15-20 minutes (with a generous dose of sensur oil all over my face, a nice warm sweater, 3 bedsheets and a woolen scarf). The infection is still there, but, I'll continue my accupressure therapy today. I should be able to get over this without even the standard amruthanjan, chinese medicine or samahan.

Interestingly, I noticed that unless the breath is even, steady & slow, the sleep is very very disturbing. By removing some nasal blocks, accupressure made the breath even. So, even if there is still a lot of mucus left in lungs, sinuses, if the breath is even, steady & slow, we can get into deep sleep faster! I also read somewhere that it is not really the number of hours that you sleep that matters, it is how much of deep sleep you get that matters. Actually 15 minutes of deep sleep can rejuvenate us completely. We spend a lot of time travelling from current conscious state to the state of deep sleep and back. And, if we don't get that 15 minutes and end up spending all the time travelling (dreaming), we are irritated when we get up! What I read was just confirmed by what I experienced! :-)

4 Comments:

  • me too suffered from cold over the weekend and even now...
    :((

    By Blogger monu, at 3:13 AM  

  • Monu,

    That hasn't in anyway pulled down your spirits to blog! :-)

    Try Samahan. And, the standard milagu rasam is very effective. I've stopped buying tablets for such things for over a year now and become a great fan of accupressure.

    By Blogger appalam vadaam, at 11:49 PM  

  • Milagu Rasam! hmmm

    Hey, hope you feel better soon... Heard there is a viral thing going thru Bangalore...

    BTW, me listening to U.Srinivas beautifully play "Kuzhaloodhi...". If you dont already have this, you must get "Mandolin Duo", "Double Mandolin" and "Dawn Raaga" - all of them by U.Sri... Track now changing to "Mahaganapathim". Bliss!

    Take care.

    By Blogger Balakumar, at 5:10 AM  

  • Bala, I am better already. No idea abt viral fever. Kuzhaloodhi in Kambhoji is a fantastic piece. Composed by Oothukkaadu Venkatasubbaiyar. If you happen to hear somebody sing it, you will surely appreciate it. Also, see if you can listen to his 'jagadodhdharana'. u.sri plays that one really superb. Esp after his brisk numbers. And, bala, you might like this place - http://kannadaaudio.com - I've come to really enjoy it. Esp Bhimsen Joshi's dasara padagalu.

    By Blogger appalam vadaam, at 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home