Musings

Monday, October 17, 2005

Scientific fool?

Just came across this at - http://vedicschool.com/ivi/about/aycertif.php

"I'm not trying to prove anything, by the way.
I'm a scientist and I know what constitutes proof.
But the reason I call myself by my childhood name is to
remind myself that a scientist must also be absolutely like a child.

If he sees a thing, he must say that he sees it,
Whether it was what he thought he was going to see or not.
See first, think later, then test. But always see first.
Otherwise you will only see what you were expecting.
Most scientists forget that. ...

the other reason I call myself Wonko the Sane
is so that people will think I am a fool.
That allows me to say what I see when I see it.

You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."

- Douglas Adams Hitchhikers trilogy:

7 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:13 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:13 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:13 AM  

  • Nice post...to perceive things as they are and not as you wish to perceive it , by polluting it with judgements, is indeed tough.

    By Blogger Arbit, at 2:09 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Harish Suryanarayana, at 2:50 AM  

  • Perception vs Reality is indeed a hot debatable topic . But you know only what you percieve .... so , how can you define reality ? Nice article :)

    By Blogger Harish Suryanarayana, at 2:51 AM  

  • Kartik & Harish,

    Thanks for dropping by.

    Reality Vs Perception:

    Yes, that is indeed the challenge. I posted this rather as something significant metaphysically, spiritually, although it is a scientist who is speaking so.

    We see world through filters of our own imagination. Close your eyes and you see a myriad of images just running by - just like switching channels in a TV. So rapid sometimes. Some of those images catch hold of you and become your thoughts, rather, your basis of understanding. It is like an ocean of thoughts and images and like waves - neverending.

    Where did they originate?? Going to their origin, I feel, will lead to reality. So long as these mental filters are present, we ourselves are only a bundle of perceptions and so is all that we observe. Frankly, it is taking enormous patience and effort to just watch the TV running and not jump in to be a part of it! It is for less than a nano-second that you can just remain observant. The trick is to retain it. I think that is what the sages, teachers, prophets have been telling.

    By Blogger appalam vadaam, at 1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home